Monday, December 17, 2012

The SOURCE of the Violence

"Guns don't kill people, people, kill people."

As a born and bred Texan, I am a liberal who believes in a strong second amendment.  I have owned, bought, and sold arms both with and without background checks through the "gun show loophole."  Basically, it is perfectly legal to buy and gun from a private citizen, sans a background check.  I have done so maybe half a dozen times, for weapons that held high capacity clips, capable of 'assaulting & defending' any given position.  I also equipped these weapons with long and short range capabilities.  Never have I used ANY of them to cause harm to another's life, liberty, property, or pursuit of happiness.

If you made "guns" illegal, I would likely expand my collection of blades and sling shots.  I would spend time learning the trade of knife and sword making, and how to launch deadly projectiles.  My point here is that there are many ways to cause harm to human homeostasis.  What we are NOT talking about right now, is the SOURCE for these violent outbursts toward society!?

So, are there 'commonalities' between these whackos?  I use that as a strictly clinical term, but I guess a more accurate term would be anti-social or psychotic bi-polar blah blah blah.  In any case they were disturbed, NOT normal, outcasts of the social order, people who found themselves on the outside looking in.  Now, while we have all felt that way, most of us don't take an uzi to school and begin to mow people down.

Rather than turn our high schools into the TSA airport, we must begin to ask ourselves if it is worth the risk to continue to build, bolster, and beautify this "have's and have not's" mentality.  We've got to embrace a more inclusive attitude, period.  We've got to reach out to one another.  We've got to see and identify social misfits and give them a path to normality.  Even the last and least among us needs to feel as though they have worth herein.  This has to become the conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment